The Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Program prepares NPs to be educated, certified, and licensed to practice as primary care providers for young adults, adults, and older adults. In this role, students will provide direct healthcare services by assessing and managing both health and acute and chronic illness states. You will develop competencies in health promotion, health protection, disease prevention, and management. Our students work in community settings such as outpatient clinics, provider's offices, long-term care settings, and patients' homes. In this specialty NPs and their patients develop satisfying long-term relationships and become trusted health counselors and providers of primary healthcare.
- Direct contact with expert faculty and preceptors in the field of Primary Care and Specialties that are often co-managed with primary care providers
- Prepares the student for primary care management of patients
- Small student-to-faculty seminars
- Individualized student advisement
- Internal transfers are not allowed
- Educate Primary Care Nurse Practitioners who will provide leadership in developing, implementing, and evaluating interventions that promote the highest possible quality of life for adolescent, adult and older adult patients.
- Utilize evidence-based knowledge that advances patient-centered, primary care practice.
- Prepare graduates to act as primary care providers in health care settings to promote quality, safety, and cost-effective outcomes.
- Provide experiences in primary care and specialty clinical areas that address the health care needs of diverse populations.
- Clinical placements are arranged by faculty.
- Outstanding clinical placement opportunities are available in:
- Primary care offices, outpatient ambulatory care centers, Mt. Sinai Medical Center (MSMC) clinics, NYU Langone Medical Center (NYULMC) outpatient clinics, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center outpatient clinics (MSKCC), Montefiore Medical Center outpatient clinics, New York-Presbyterian Health System (NYPHS) outpatient clinics, North Shore – LIJ Health System) outpatient clinics, Veterans outpatient clinics, and Specialty practices (pain management, urology, gastroenterology, cardiology, dermatology, endocrinology, hepatology, neurology, urgent care, gerontology, oncology, outpatient drug addiction centers, and more.
- Preparation of students to successfully sit for either the AANP of ANCC board certification exam as Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioners
- Meet NYS requirements for licensure as an Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- Meet State and Federal requirements to obtain a DEA number upon graduation
- Meet State requirements to obtain prescription privileges upon graduation