On the front lines of healthcare delivery, nurses are experts in a variety of sub-specialities. As a nurse, you're able to focus on particular types of nursing to advance your career. If you already have a master's degree and would like to refine your practice to a specific patient population, an advanced certificate program at NYU Meyers is a terrific way to demonstrate that knowledge.
We offer Advanced Certificates in:
Each specialization has different coursework. Please see below for the curriculum sheets for the appropriate specialities.
- Master's degree in nursing
- GPA of 3.0
- NYS nursing license prior to beginning course work
- Ability to successfully complete the academic and clinical requirements of the advanced certificate programs
- Prior to entering the specialty courses of a a respective nursing master's program, at least one year of full-time clinical experience as a registered nurse is required=
- At least one year of clinical nursing experience with adults and older adults is required
Additional Program-Specific Requirements
Advanced Practice Nursing: Adult Acute Care
- At least one year of clinical nursing experience with adults and older adults is required. Critical care experience preferred.
Advanced Practice Nursing: Pediatrics
- Prior to entering the specialty courses of the pediatrics program, at least one year full-time clinical experience as a registered nurse in pediatrics is required.
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) certification is required prior to entering the first clinical pediatric clinical course.
Technical Standards Requirements
Applicants must meet the Technical Standards for Core Professional Nursing Competency Performance in order to be eligible for admission to, progress in, and graduate from the nursing program.
Criminal Background Check Policy
All nursing students will be required to complete a series of clinical learning experiences in order to successfully meet the learning outcomes for a given program of study. Prior to participating in clinical learning experiences at any off campus healthcare facility, students are required to complete a criminal background check and a drug test. Each clinical facility has policies regarding possible convictions and potential drug use that may bar students from being accepted at the facility for clinical placement. You may read more about this policy here.
Equal Opportunity Statement
NYU Meyers does not discriminate due to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital or parental status, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship status, veteran or military status, age, disability, or any other legally protected basis. Prospective students of diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds are encouraged to apply for all of our programs.
The application for Spring, Summer, and Fall 2017 is now available online! Click here to apply.
Early Action Deadline: November 1
Final Deadline: December 1 *
*We are still accepting applications for certain programs on a rolling basis. Please email email@example.com to inquire if there is still space available for your program of interest!
Final Deadline: February 15*
*The summer semester accepts applications for APN: Family, Nursing Administration, Nursing Education, and Nursing Informatics only. APN: Family admits for the summer semester only.
Early Action Deadline: March 1
Final Deadline: June 15
Applicants are encouraged to apply early and fill out the FAFSA at the time you apply. All deadlines listed are 'in office' deadlines, not postmark deadlines. It is always to the candidate's best advantage to apply early especially when applying for financial aid. Should any of the dates listed fall on a weekend, the deadline will be the next working day.
Once your online application is submitted, please send the following, original documents to the Office of Graduate Student Affairs and Admissions:
- One official transcript from each post-secondary school attended
- An unofficial copy of your latest TOEFL or IELTS scores for applicants whose native language is not English. Official scores are required before an admission decision can be rendered. We require a minimum TOEFL internet-based score of 100 and an IELTS Band score of 7.
- An original course by course transcript evaluation for all transcripts received from foreign institutes of higher education.
- GRE scores are NOT required for this program.
In one package, please mail application supporting materials to:
Office of Student Affairs and Admissions
NYU Rory Meyers College of Nursing
433 First Avenue, LL 1
New York, NY 10010
You may check on the status of your application using your Apply Yourself login. Should you have any questions about the admissions process, you are encouraged to call the Office of Student Affairs and Admissions at 212-992-7653.
The application fee is $80. Your application will not be processed until your application fee has been paid. Application fees are non-refundable and must be received by the stated application deadlines.
NYU Meyers waives fees for applications based on financial hardship or US military service/US veteran status. To request that the application fee be waived, please submit a request to firstname.lastname@example.org when submitting your application. The request should include your full name and the program to which you are applying. We will notify you via email when your request for an application fee waiver has been approved.
- When does the advanced certificate program start?
The program starts in September (fall), January (spring), or May (summer).
- Does NYU Meyers require any specific nursing license and/or examinations for admission?
Applicants must be registered nurses and licensed to practice nursing in the New York State. The GRE is not required for graduate admission.
- What should my letter of recommendation include?
Your letter of recommendation should comment on your maturity, intellectual potential, and motivation to further your career in nursing. Recommendation letters should be on letterhead and written by a nurse with a minimum of a master's degree, a physician, or former professor.
- How can I check the status of my application?
Contact NYU Meyers's Office of Student Affairs and Admissions by calling 212-998-5317 to check the status of your application.
- When will I know if I am admitted or not?
Early Action: Late November
Final Deadline: Late December
Final Deadline: Late March
Early Action: Early April
Final Deadline:Late July